Friday, August 5, 2011

Final Journal

I think I should get an A because I came prepared for class each day and participated. My group stimulated a tense, but useful discussion around the politics of inclusion in classrooms and we fostered some deep reflection in the group. I think everyone in my book club did the reading and was invested in thinking about what information needed to be covered before bringing Persepolis into the classroom.

I've been thinking a lot about how to present white privilege to suburban teens who are struggling with issues like drug and alcohol abuse as well as others. I think the struggles of the students might make them more reluctant to hear about privilege. I also have been thinking about how bringing dark texts into the classroom will effect those students. I am hearing extremely mixed opinions about whether or not it is a good or bad idea to present really dark, nihilistic texts to students who might already have nihilistic thought structures about the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment