Tuesday, August 2, 2011

8-2-11

I was born in America and am an American citizen. Growing up, I had a lot of pride for America in elementary school whenever we would discuss events like the Civil War (being from the Land of Lincoln, this was a very proud point), World War I, and World War II. I grew up in the nineties and thought that America was the best country in the world for a long time. But, then I got to high school. I started learning about our darker past that had been hidden from me as an elementary student. I learned about how America actually knew about Concentration Camps in Germany and chose not to enter the war at the point, institutionalized racism, became politicized, realized how corrupt many of our systems as a country were, and realized that I was gay- and, therefore, a kind of outsider in my own country.
I was, to say the least, a little disenfranchized. I resented my country a little bit. But, as I ventured into college, I decided that this was a healthy response. I spent a great deal of time researching Weimar, Germany, Berlin, Christopher Isherwood, the politics of adaptation, the Holocaust, the history of the pink triangle, and the rise of Nazism. I came away with the conclusion that blind nationalism is one of the singularly most terrifying things in the world. When I see people waving the Confederate flag, feel bad for them.

2 comments:

  1. Allison- Blind nationalism is scary. Do anything blind is scary. LIke driving. Have you ever tried to drive blindfolded? Don't. It's scary. But, I don't know how many kids I knew in my high school who flew the Rebel flag from the back of their modified pick-up trucks with "loud pipes save lives" stickers and way too many exhaust pipes. They had no idea what in the hell the Rebel flag stood for, they just knew it was the Rebel flag and they were rebels and so they should fly the flag so everyone knew that they were rebels and rebelled against stuff. What they didn't know is that they rebelled against open-mindedness and reason. Unfortunately, a lot of the them did know that it meant racism and oppression but they were still blind to the real issues behind the Rebel flag it's use in the South. People are stupid. We need to do a good job,

    ReplyDelete