Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of Blogger Blog

First, I just want to talk about the Jenkins piece, because there were some sections that really got my synapses firing. First off, I LOVE that the article sighted play as a key access point in a student's education. I feel like I have been screaming this from the rooftop of Peik Hall, throwing pots and pans at anyone within range to listen to me, so it was really nice to see it, in print, in a non behavior related article (about technology no less!). That was really nice.

Secondly, I really dig the section on appropriation (which is a more weighted way of saying adaptation). How cool would it be to have a class discussion on whether or not Girl Talk is a musician, a collage artist, or a phony? I am a big geek when it comes to discussion the politics of adaptation, and (if anyone ever approves this) I would love to teach a class that focuses on original texts and adaptations. I think understanding what makes a good adaptation vs. a blatant copy will help give students understand vague concepts such as "intellectual property." Additionally, I think having insight into the creative process- how things are actually made, and the energy and effort it takes to make them- will give students pause before illegally downloading someone else's work. Plus, as an English teacher, I think origin stories are incredibly important. The what might be done's for the appropriation section are really cool, also.

The idea of collective intelligence is interesting, and I absolutely see the benefit, but I am concerned about students only being surrounded by other like minded students. At the middle school and high school levels, I believe students coming up against constructive descent marks a critical life skill for students to learn to deal with. Not everyone is always going to agree with the, and vice versa. Instead, providing students with the tools for healthy argumentation and analytic skills for disecting the arguments of others could only benefit our students, and probably make them better reader/writers.

For the Kajder (am I nuts, or did we read this with Kristen), yes, I totally agree to basically everything she is saying, but, oh man, when technology fails, you have just killed fifty minutes of your students time and learning. Blogger has apparently partnered with Google, as I have told many of you in my sob story, and now requires that the students have an e-mail AND a phone number so they can text you a confirmation code to mark that you are a human and not a spam machine. Obviously, for socio-economic reasons, and school phone policy reasons, I could not make this happen. So now we are using Edublogs, which is buggy and slow, and does not work 50% of the time. I found myself begging my Co-op to just let us journal the assignments instead. My question is- if it eats up this much class time, is it really worth it?

Finally, here is the amazing trail role play on Frankenstein that Jake found last semester. I am seriously thinking of using this as my sum. assessment. But, how do you decide who to assign what roles?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You had a lot to say about the readings this week, Allison. First of all, I love your Girl Talk idea (I've had that conversation many a time with friends) and the fact that you love origin myths! Me too! I was just curious, though, since you didn't really mention it here, as to what your thoughts were on performance and online role playing. I talked about it in my blog post this week (you don't have to go and read it, I promise) because I have some MAJOR issues with it. I know that you have a somewhat similar theoretical background to me, so I'd just be interested to hear your reaction to taking on an identity online...even if it could just be considered play behavior. Plus, I think your theater background offers another meaning as to what it means to take on an identity.

    Best,

    Jack

    ReplyDelete