Thursday, October 21, 2010

How iTunes has changed the way I think about music

When the iPod first came out, I was very hesitant to get one. I have always liked going to music stores and buying a cd, and looking at the inside artwork, and inserting the disc into a machine that played it. Call me old fashioned. But, all this changed when I got my new computer for my freshman year of college. At that time, when you bought a mac, you received a free iPod nano via a rather lengthy rebate proceedure.
As soon as I started playing with iTunes, I was hooked. Now I have an iPod classic that I try to cram as much music on as possible. I have begun hoarding my friend's music onto my iPod. But, the more I put on the device that I do not actually own, the greater the potential for me losing all that music is. I am actually starting to get paranoid about what will happen to my music should the iPod die, which it will invariably do. I also don't like how music is purchased anymore. I miss music stores. I loved going to Sam Goody as a kid! It was a treat! Now you can shop from home on the iTunes Store and all your purchases are remembered for you. It is kind of weird to me, actually. I still have all my cds from my adolescence, as well as a large number of my dad's cd collection. Needless to say, I will not be giving them up any time soon. One benefit of iTunes is that it enables the user to quickly make playlists and dump sound creations from garage band into a burnable format. And, I have to admite the genius playlist configuring feature is pretty cool.

I guess I am just conflicted overall.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about ipods. I can't even live without mine (first world problem). I do think it is interesting how technology has become a necessity to us. I know friends who are working trying to pay off college and just making enough to eat but when their ipod goes they are purchasing a new one before groceries. At first, I was mad when I saw them with a new ipod. However, after my ipod broke, I didn't wait to save up money. I just bought one because I had to have one. How could I walk to class without it or run without it??!?! It seems like all of this just creeped up on our generation fast. I always wonder what my kids will think of CDs. Will Cds be the new vinyl for our children? We they talk about how the quality of cds is more genuine than mp3s. Crazy! Break a leg with all your performances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! In thinking about iPods and music, I am starting to get freaked out about the new e-book technology as well! I actually really like Barnes & Nobles' Nook, but I still refuse to buy one. I love books- meaning I love the whole book. The binding, the weight, the smell, the pages, the font- it is all part of the experience. Putting books into such a neat, uniform medium erases a bit of the artistry, I feel. I also think it is different from iPods because you don't need to carry your whole library with you when you go out, you generally just need the book you are currently reading, and MAYBE a backup if you are on a long trip.

    ReplyDelete